Supporting Your Family When Life Gets Complicated
Family law encompasses a wide variety of legal concerns, and individuals who are first introduced to this area of law are often overwhelmed by the legal requirements that must be met and the procedures that must be followed in family court cases. That is why it is essential to have an experienced advocate on your side who can help you understand your rights and protect your interests throughout the legal process.
At Laraia & Whitty, P.C., our skilled attorneys understand the complex legal issues that must be addressed in family law cases, as well as the difficult emotional issues that can complicate the process. We provide a compassionate, dedicated approach, fighting to protect your rights and helping you reach a positive resolution that provides for your family’s best interests.
Common Family Law Issues
Family law cases can involve a wide variety of situations that affect spouses, parents, children, and other family members. Some common legal issues that must be resolved in family court include:
- Divorce – Divorcing spouses must address a number of concerns before their marriage can be dissolved, including how assets and debts will be divided and whether spousal maintenance will be needed. Our lawyers can represent your interests throughout the divorce process and help you reach a favorable settlement.
- Child custody – When parents are divorced, separated, or unmarried, they must determine how parental responsibilities and parenting time will be divided. Our attorneys can advocate for your children’s best interests when determining child custody arrangements.
- Paternity – Establishing legal parentage for a child will ensure that they are able to have a relationship with both parents and receive the child support that will meet their needs. Our lawyers can help you establish or contest paternity.
- Adoption – The process of adopting a child, whether through an adoption agency, in a private adoption, through DCFS, or as a stepparent, can be complex, requiring the assistance of an attorney to ensure that all legal requirements are met.
- Guardianship – A person can establish legal guardianship for a minor child that is in their care, providing them with the rights and protections that will allow them to address the child’s ongoing needs. We can assist in filing for guardianship and provide representation in guardianship hearings.
- Domestic violence/orders of protection – In cases involving domestic abuse or the threat of violence, our attorneys can assist in obtaining an order of protection that will provide safety from an abuser.
Contact Our Wheaton Family Law Firm
Resolving legal issues in family court can be a daunting prospect, and you will likely be unsure of what to expect in the course of your case. At Laraia & Whitty, P.C., we can provide you with peace of mind by making sure you understand your rights and requirements and providing dedicated representation in court. We will answer your questions, fight for your rights, and work to help you reach a resolution that meets your family’s needs. Contact us at 630-228-9984 to schedule a free consultation today. From our Wheaton law office, we provide legal help to families in Warrenville, Winfield, Glendale Heights, Glen Ellyn, Carol Stream, and throughout DuPage County, Kane County, Cook County, Kendall County and Will County.